TWOSE is proud to be a part of the Inquiring Minds site-based school programs in Edmonton.
Applications for the 2017-18 school year are now open! Apply today!
This unique program is available to Elementary classes and their teacher, each visiting the science centre for a duration of one week.
Science School is designed to inspire students to explore STEM disciplines (Science, Technology, Engineering, and Math) through collaborative design projects, guided explorations of the natural environment, experimentation with engineering and technology, and learning through play.
This journey will help students develop a passion for science and discover the areas that excite them.
In addition, students will journal and reflect on their experiences, as these are key components of the Inquiring Minds philosophy.
Our Science School site coordinator will work closely with you, the classroom teacher, to identify resources available at the science centre that line up with your “Big Idea” for the week. Though the classroom teacher is responsible for their class, we will help facilitate activities, events and reflections.
What to Expect:
Each class at Science School will have access to the IMAX Theatre and film library, the Margaret Zeidler Star Theatre and planetarium show library, as well as all themed galleries. There is also the opportunity to participate in live science demonstrations and hands-on science activities, facilitated by staff scientists!
Venues for teachers to consider for their Science School and Big Idea:
- Syncrude Environment Gallery
- The Body Fantastic
- Space Place
- The Science Garage is all about encouraging experimentation and sparking imagination! Can your students build a flying contraption that catches flight in The Science Garage wind tunnels?
- IMAX Theatre
- Margaret Zeidler Star Theatre
- The Observatory
- Feature Exhibition (when available)
Sign up for Eureka! a newsletter curated specifically with teachers and educators in mind, and keep up to date with the latest news regarding School Programs, such as important dates, special events and new developments.
- Who can apply? Any teacher willing to work within the Inquiring Minds philosophy and participate in active journaling alongside their students.
- How do I apply? Visit the Inquiring Minds website and fill out the application form.
- When can I apply? Applications for the 2016-17 school year are closed. Applications will open again in Spring 2017. Keep an eye on this website for updates.
Questions specific to Science School, contact: